DHCP "static" assignments

Sten Carlsen stenc at s-carlsen.dk
Mon Aug 12 15:32:09 UTC 2013

On 12/08/13 13:33, Glenn Satchell wrote:
> On Fri, August 9, 2013 6:07 am, Sten Carlsen wrote:
>> On 08/08/13 21:26, Chris Buxton wrote:

>>> These are both good questions.
>>>
>>> In my experience, one should never assume that the DHCP man pages are
>>> 100% accurate. They are not.
>> Maybe we could try to improve that situation? First step is to realize
>> what is not perfect.
>>> Regards,
>>> Chris Buxton
>> --
>> Best regards
>>
>> Sten Carlsen
>>
>> No improvements come from shouting:
>>        "MALE BOVINE MANURE!!!"
> There is no "they" in the solution to this, it's down to "us".
I think I used the term "we". :-)

> The various dhcpd man pages are quite long with related information in
> many places. Often it may be updated in one but not all, leading to
> inconsistencies. Perhaps we can work out a better description to go in the
> man page. Then a bug can be logged to update the appropriate text.
Right, I just don't think I have enough weight to do that, at least on
my own.

> S, in the spirit of offering solutions, my suggestion to "What does it
> mean "will not match"?" In my mind it means that it ignores that host
> statement. If there is no other host statement for that mac address, then
> it becomes an unknown client. Now how to word that is a clear and concise
> manner?
This interpretation is not what I had assumed, I had assumed that it
would still be a known host, only treated as if there was no
"fixed-address" in the host statement. I seem to be mistaken.

> "If none of the addresses in the /fixed-address/ statement are valid for
> the network to which the client is connected, that client will not match
> the /host/ declaration containing that /fixed-address/ declaration."
>
> "If none of the addresses in the /fixed-address/ statement are valid for
> the network to which the client is connected, that client will not match
> the /host/ declaration containing that /fixed-address/ declaration. The
> contents of that /host/ declaration will not be evaluated, and if there
> are no other matching /host/ statements then the device will be an
> "unknown client"."
This is clear on that point, just to be sure - is it also correct? What
will happen to other statements in that host statement?

> Alternatively under the section where "unknown clients" is defined there
> could be a statement clarifying how a client becomes known or unknown.
> Currently the definition is
>
> "An unknown client is simply a client that has no host declaration."
"An unknown client is simply a client that has no host declaration or
has a host declaration with "fixed-address" statements that are NOT
valid for the subnet that the host is attached to at this time."

One proposal.

> I'm not quite sure hot to reword this. Over to you.
~~~~
[...]

__/host/__declaration containing that __/fixed-address/__declaration*/ effectively /**/annulling the host statement./*
_Each /address/ in the /fixed-address/ declaration should be either
an IP address or a domain name that resolves to one or more IP
addresses.
~~~~

The point in doubt here is then:
What about the other parts of that host statement? will e.g. a
"host-name" be ignored?

I have no clue. I would have to study the code for an answer, maybe
someone on the list knows that?