DHCPv6 deleting "A" record?

Nicolas C. dhcp at nryc.fr
Wed Aug 21 12:35:11 UTC 2013

Hello,

A few months ago I was experimenting DHCPv6 + DDNS and I recall that the
DHCPv6 server was deleting the "AAAA" record but also the "A".

The setup : one DHCPv4, one DHCPv6, the option
"update-conflict-detection" is set to "false" on the DHCPv6.

With "nsupdate", two test records (A and AAAA) are manually recorded in
the dynamic zone.

This is what I remembered when a client was booting with the same name
as the test records :

  - The conflict detection is working for IPv4
  - When the DHCPv6 clients starts, a new AAAA records (provided by the
DHCP) is added in addition of the one already present and a TXT record
is also added
  - When the DHCPv6 client release its address, all records (A, 2xAAAA
and TXT) are deleted.

This is what happens today with my tests :

  - The conflict detection is working for IPv4
  - When the DHCPv6 clients starts, the static AAAA record is _replaced_
by the one provided by the DHCPv6 server, a TXT record is added
  - When the DHCPv6 client release its address, the AAAA record is
deleted but the TXT (and the "A") record remains.

Is it possible (under specific conditions) to obtain the first case
where all records are deleted? I'm currently writing a small article on
DHCPv4 + DHCPv6 + DDNS and I thought there was a "domino" effect where a
DHCPv6 server with "update-conflict-detection" disabled could compromise
IPv4 records.

Thanks,

Nicolas