sending options from wrong subnet in shared-network

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Thu Dec 5 14:39:06 UTC 2013

On Thu, 2013-12-05 at 15:18 +0100, Sten Carlsen wrote:
> Suggestions:
>
> I see nothing in the host declaration that tells it which subnet to get
> the IP from?

Only the second subnet is available for dynamic address assignment.  The
first subnet has no "range" statement in it, so it's only available for
fixed address assignment.

But my point wasn't that the address was coming from the wrong subnet
but that the address is coming from the right subnet but the _options_
are coming from the wrong subnet.

> allow / deny may be your friend.

Indeed.  But I have not found anything I could reasonably match one set
of hosts on vs. the other.  Ideally I would like to match on say, "mgmt"
being in host declation's name (but it's position can be variable) but I
don't think there is any reasonable way of doing that.  I can't use mac
address/vendor to match since both the fixed-address and dynamic host
mac addresses are from the same vendor.  I'd even settle for being able
to class hosts based on whether they have fixed addresses assigned or
not but I have not found a match for that either.

> I would likely use class/subclass here with suitable allow/deny.

Indeed, but what to class/subclass on?

Cheers,
b.