DHCP Across Wireless Bridge

Simon Hobson simon at thehobsons.co.uk
Sun Dec 29 17:54:01 UTC 2013

Anthony Hoppe wrote:
> I am using an EnGenius WAP (I can't find and/or recall the model at the moment) in client bridge mode.

I have some EnGenius stuff in use at work - and when setting up a bridge there is a bit of a gotcha. Working from memory (it's a long time since I set htem up), you need to set the client end into WDS mode, not client bridge mode. I know it seems back to front, but in client bridge mode, all the clients appear to come from the MAC address fo the client bridge; in WDS mode, you get to see the client MACs. If the MAC address is mangled, the client won't get the right packet back - and DHCP won't work.