[debian linux] Setting up a dual stack host with static ip4 and dhcp ip6

Tim Schumacher schumact at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 08:55:10 UTC 2013

Hi All,

I am new to setting up dhcpd and dhcpcd.  I assume what I am trying to
do is fairly straightforward but I couldn't figure it out so easily...

I am using debian linux and I am trying to accomplish the following
feat:  I want to run my eth0 as dual stack where the ipv4 stack is
statically configured, but the ipv6 stack is configured via dhcp. So my
plan was to try putting the following in my interfaces file:

iface eth0 inet static
    address x.x.x.x
    netmask y.y.y.y
    gateway z.z.z.z

iface eth0 inet6 dhcp

But it seems ifupdown doesn't like that.  So now I am hoping I can get
away with something like:

iface eth0 inet static
    address x.x.x.x
    netmask y.y.y.y
    gateway z.z.z.z
up /etc/init.d/dhcpcd start
    down /etc/init.d/dhcpcd stop

where the init.d script is the front end to start and stop dhcpcd and
all I would need to do is write a dhcpcd.conf file that tells dhcpcd to
only try to assign ip6 address to eth0.

So how does one configure the client program to only attempt ipv6? Or is
it easier to set them both as DHCP and then write a config that tells
dhcp to always assign the 'static' address to ipv4 but tries to go dhcp
for the ipv6?

Thanks!
Tim