DHCP Roaming

James Jalbert jjalbert at rsu39.org
Thu Feb 14 13:00:10 UTC 2013

But wont that stop my machines from Sunbet A being able to roam to subnet B and C, Subnet B wont be able to roam to subnet A and C and so on? I do want the subnets A,B and C to roam with each other, I do not want subnet D to roam any where.

James Jalbert
Network Administrator
Eastern Aroostook RSU #39
Phone: 207-493-4246
E-Mail: jjalbert at rsu39.org

On 14 February 2013 12:34, James Jalbert <jjalbert at rsu39.org> wrote:
> I am wondering if the following is possible?
>
> I have a DHCP server that is running multiple subnet decelerations for different buildings in my organization. We will use the following for reference:
>
> Subnet A   Building 1
> Subnet B   Building 2
> Subnet C  Building 3
>
> I use fixed address hosts and each host is configured for the address and subnet of its building. I have pools set up in each subnet so that clients may roam from building to building and get an IP address. Works great. Now I have set up Subnet D in Building 3, this subnet is a VLAN for outside people to bring in their devices, get internet access, but be separate from and have no communication with Subnet C, I do have fixed addresses set up here also, so host need to have a deceleration to get on. That is working great. Now comes the issue, I want people in the organization to be able to roam freely between all buildings, which they can, but I DO NOT want people registered in Subnet D to be able to get address from any other subnet. Is there a way to do this without disrupting the roaming of subnet A to B to C and only deny roaming from hosts in subnet D?
>
> Thanks for the help in advance

If you have assigned static fixed-addresses for every client then you
don't need to create pools of IP addresses on subnets A,B&C. So the
simplest way would be to remove the pools from your configuration for
subnets A,B&C. You only need to create pools where you have clients
that are dynamic and don't have fixed-address statements.

Steve