dhcpd 4.1.1

John Wobus jw354 at cornell.edu
Fri Jul 19 15:03:27 UTC 2013

We simply restart the server many times a day.
I assume a lot of sites do this though
many reduce restarts by adding hosts
using the programmatic interface.

By restarting a lot, we are less likely
to suffer from memory leak issues
and such, but more likely to suffer
from rare random startup and
"brief downtime" related problems.

We run redundant servers and restart the
two in series. I generally don't see issues
with the frequent startups thought it
undoubtedly slows response to clients.
As our site has grown, time until a restarted
server is responding has increased a bit.
I rarely notice anything more than that, but
recently did analyze a client's problem
that appeared to happen because
there was insufficient time between
the two servers' restarts to share
information about the client's new
lease.

John
Cornell University IT

P.S. I once proposed ISC make SIGHUP simply
'exec' itself with the same parms, in effect,
a restart with minimal downtime.  Otherwise,
downtime can be minimized by executing
(and re-executing) the daemon with 'system'
in a shell script loop.  That would fit
right in with a "nanny process" such as
is typical for the mysql daemon.

We don't do that: we have code that polls
the old process very often to determine
when to start the new instance.