fixed-address6 fqdn hostname

tslbai at agilolfinger.de tslbai at agilolfinger.de
Tue Jun 25 17:52:38 UTC 2013

Dear List-members,

i'm running dhcpd6 and have a issue withe the config.
I'm lazy and dont want to write the awful V6-addresses, so i tried to
enter fqdn instead, like i did in IPV4.

E.G.:
fixed-address6 myhost.mydomain.tld;
instead of
fixed-address6 2001:db8:1:1::701;

or

option dhcp6.name-servers myserver.mydomain.tld;
instead of
option dhcp6.name-servers 2001:db8:1:1::200;

All these fully qualified hostnames can be resolved in DNS and have a
AAAA-record.

... but dhcpd6 refuses to parse the config and refuses to start.

I looked to the ISC-DHCPD-ARM and found indeed a syntax-difference between
"fixed-address" (V4) and "fixed-address6" (V6).

Are there specific technical reasons, why fqdn is not supported in
V&-dhcpd or will it be supported in the future? Is the fqdn-support on a
dhcpd-Devel-Roadmap?

Thanks,

Florian