helpfor option ping-check

Doug Barton dougb at dougbarton.us
Thu Jun 27 00:32:49 UTC 2013

On 06/26/2013 05:16 PM, Julie Xu wrote:
> If I do not use check ping, do I have anyway to fix pool problem? Or do I need check something else on the reason?

Julie,

The only real way to solve this problem is to make sure that your pools
don't include already issued static addresses. The usual way to do this
is to have part of the network reserved for statics, and start the pool
outside of that range. If you have existing static addresses scattered
throughout the network that cannot be changed for some reason you can
create lots of little pools that are split around those static
addresses. The other possible solution is to create DHCP reservations
for the already-assigned static addresses, but that doesn't really solve
your management problem long-term.

Unfortunately, there is no "easy" solution to this problem, your
organization needs to be a little more proactive in your network
management.

hope this helps,

Doug