helpfor option ping-check

Gregory Sloop gregs at sloop.net
Thu Jun 27 00:49:22 UTC 2013

Do you have logs showing these duplicate leases occurring by ISC-DHCPd?

I'd be surprised to see such a thing - but if it really is happening
as you think, I believe it should be in the DHCP logs - showing the
request and offer and ack/nak of the first host, then then the
request, offer and ack/nak of the second host for the same IP.

Could you dig these out and let us see them?

---
As far as ping-check - if the DHCP server *really is* handing out
duplicates, then I can't imagine ping-check would prevent that - since
it the DHCP server that's misbehaving and one more check certainly
isn't certain to fix another massive flaw in the DHCP server.

To be clear, I'm doubtful the DHCP server *is* working incorrectly, but
if it is, then ping-check isn't likely to fix a DHCP server that's so
badly borked.

But in any case, seeing logs showing the duplicate dynamic assignment
would seem like the best place to start.

-Greg