Running DHCPv6 relay without interfaces

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Mar 14 13:42:21 UTC 2013

Neff, Glen wrote:
>This makes no sense.  If you don't have multiple interfaces, then you shouldn't need a relay.

Actually it's always been a supported and logical option. We are rather used to relay agents being embedded in routers - mostly because the router is usually a convenient place to put it and should normally always be present.

However, there is nothing wrong with having a standalone relay agent ona remote network. It just needs the one interface through which it can communicate with local clients by broadcast, and communicate with a remote server by unicast.