Host options and DCHP-Inform (Was: [RESOLVED !!!] Multi Homed DHCP - VLANs, Hosting Remote Subnets - Working With DHCP Relay Agent)

Friesen, Don CITZ:EX Don.Friesen at gov.bc.ca
Tue Mar 19 19:41:22 UTC 2013

   Last few times I read the RFC I didn't see it in the right light.  The RFC statement:

   "If a client has obtained a network address through some other means (e.g., manual configuration), it may use a DHCPINFORM request message to obtain other local configuration parameters."

   Is key.  A machine that has obtained a lease via DHCP should not be using a DHCPINFORM message.  Hence the fault is not in the DHCP server, it is doing exactly what it should.  The fault is with the Microsoft implementation of the DHCP client.  It is erroneously issuing DHCPINFORM messages which are only valid if the address was NOT obtained via a call to DHCP.

Don Friesen