Secondary server in failover fails to come out of recover state

Steven Carr sjcarr at gmail.com
Thu May 16 07:23:36 UTC 2013

On 15 May 2013 23:46, Oscar Ricardo Silva <osilva at scuff.cc.utexas.edu> wrote:
> One of the things we see when this happens is that the primary gets "stuck"
> as far as partner-state and local-state are concerned.  When the secondary
> is restarted, the primary says its local state is "partner down" while the
> partner state is "recover". It stays this way even when dhcpd is killed on
> the secondary.
>
> I'll test out using a variation of the init script which kills the process.
> I would still like for them to return to a normal state before restarting
> the secondary.

Yes it will do, as you've effectively told each partner in turn that
the other peer is down. Once the peer is down it wont make any attempt
to contact the other peer, it will wait for the peers to be brought
out of partner down mode, at which point a forced recovery may be
needed to get the peers back in sync, but during that forced recovery
neither system will issue leases.

You just have to trust the code I'm afraid, it does work.