DHCP failover - disk full, can not commit to lease file

A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk A.L.M.Buxey at lboro.ac.uk
Tue May 28 14:52:09 UTC 2013

Hi,

> 	It shouldn't care about the cause of the error, but it
> 	should care that it's no longer working to specification
> 	since it no longer can write to persistent storage.
>
> 	Why would the message, "I'm down; carry on without me" to
> 	the failover partner be inappropriate in this case?

many server daemons have similar problems....eg the default config for
FreeRADIUS if using logging will fail to authenticate the user if it cannot log
due to a full disk... the argument goes along the lines of not wanting
to let someone on to the network if theres no logging. would you want to
hand out an address via DHCP if it cannot be stored/maintained in lease table etc.

however, something like 'munin' checking on the host for disk space and tied
up to a script to launch some OMAPI script if disk space reaches ag 99%

eg

https://kb.isc.org/article/AA-00475/0/Sending-a-Server-Shutdown-Message-Via-OMAPI.html

alan