problems with log and options that are set.

Dave Brenner david at toledotel.com
Fri Oct 11 00:42:05 UTC 2013

On 10/10/2013 7:04 AM, Hughes, Doug wrote:

> Yeah, that works! But it points out that I have hit yet another
> dead-end. I can’t use a variable that I construct as a
> host-identifier to provide a fixed address to the client.. I’ve been
>  battling this for a week now and am becoming more convinced by the
> day that you just can’t get there from here with the current dhcpd.

I went through this a few years back and ultimately settled on building
classes by matching on both 'option agent.remote-id' *and* 'option
agent.circuit-id'.  I would then allow each class in single-host pools.
  It's not ideal, but works OK if you are not dealing with MAC addresses
changing for any given option 82 pair.  Obviously, though,
'fixed-address option ...' is better, since it is not a real lease from
DHCPD's point of view and can be offered repeatedly as long as the
option match is satisfied.

But getting back to what you have been trying to do with fixed-address,
since you did not specifically state that agent.remote-id was *not*
globally unique, I have to ask: in your network, is it common to see the
same remote-id show up on different switch ports or whatever comprises a
circuit-id in your environment?

Dave