Clarification

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Wed Oct 23 19:14:38 UTC 2013

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 12:25:53PM -0600, Jason Gerfen wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 1:33 PM, Peter Rathlev <peter at rathlev.dk> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2013-10-21 at 12:00 -0600, Jason Gerfen wrote:
> >> What I would like clarification on is if these options can be
> >> applied to the following criteria; global options, within a
> >> class declaration, within a subnet declaration, within a
> >> shared-network declaration, within a pool and/or a group
> >> declaration.
> >
> > Um... yes? Those options can be used to configure the server.
> > Do you want to know if some specific option works in some
> > specific way?
> >
> I should have been more specific.

Specificity is good. You're not asking a specific question, however;
your question is very wide and general.

> I would like to know if the options specified in
> http://linux.die.net/man/5/dhcp-options can all be used
> interchangeably between a subnet declaration, or a pool declaration,
> or a global list, or within a group declaration etc.

The best answer here is probably, "No."

Note that the dhcp-options(5) manual has options which are applicable
to both the client, dhclient(8), and the server, dhcpd(8). Options
which only make sense when used from the client are not going to work
in server-side subnet, pool or group declarations.

Two suggestions I can offer:

1. You'll probably get more useful responses if you discuss the goal:
   what you are hoping to accomplish with DHCP.

2. While the die.net man pages are a very nice resource, I would not
   rely on them for actual system configuration. It's safer to use
   your own local copy of the manual. What if you're using an older
   (or newer) version of the software than the die.net man page has?
   You could be misled by a missing or changed feature.