ignore client-updates

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Wed Sep 4 15:38:06 UTC 2013

	We had that in our dhcpd.conf file until earlier this
year and reversed this directive after reading that it was no
longer recommended. Since then, things have gotten more
problematic in some departments. We have a campus-wide Microsoft
Active Directory and since the change, many hosts have generated
reverse A records for AD and modified their FQDN's to fit our
active directory rather than the names we originally assigned to
them. This has broken various scripts and also appears to have
broken the PXE booting of static hosts which we had assigned to
a particular bootP group

	We had originally had

ignore client-updates;

scoped for the entire dhcp server. Could one put it back in on a
network-by-network basis?

	The lines in our dhcpd.conf file that deal with this
are:

ddns-update-style interim;
one-lease-per-client true;
deny duplicates;
#what used to be
#ignore client-updates;
#now
allow client-updates;

	I think, since we did this, nobody has given us "'At'a
boys," and at least two departments are complaining with valid
issues.

	Thanks for any constructive suggestions as I don't see
that this change has helped at all.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer