DHCP peer failure and pool exhaustion...

greg.rabil at bt.com greg.rabil at bt.com
Mon Sep 9 19:58:41 UTC 2013

For what it is worth, ISC DHCP 4.2 has added an "auto partner-down" configuration option:

The auto-partner-down statement

auto-partner-down seconds;

This statement instructs the server to initiate a timed delay upon entering the communications-interrupted state (any situation of being out-of-contact with the remote failover peer). At the conclusion of the timer, the server will automatically enter the partner-down state. This permits the server to allocate leases from the partner's free lease pool after an STOS+MCLT timer expires, which can be dangerous if the partner is in fact operating at the time (the two servers will give conflicting bindings).

Think very carefully before enabling this feature. The partner-down and communications-interrupted states are intentionally segregated because there do exist situations where a failover server can fail to communicate with its peer, but still has the ability to receive and reply to requests from DHCP clients. In general, this feature should only be used in those deployments where the failover servers are directly connected to one another, such as by a dedicated hardwired link ("a heartbeat cable").

A zero value disables the auto-partner-down feature (also the default), and any positive value indicates the time in seconds to wait before automatically entering partner-down.

Regards,
Greg Rabil