"rejected: incoming update is less critical than outgoing update"

Martin McCormick martin at dc.cis.okstate.edu
Tue Sep 10 18:16:23 UTC 2013

	We have a failover pair of dhcp servers which are about
as alike as they can be. Both are virtual machines running on
two SANS. The message quoted in the subject line of this posting
is said to be normal but why are there many, many more of these
messages on the secondary server than we see on the primary DHCP
server?

	I ran the following test on first the primary and then
the secondary and counted the number of update rejection
messages from Midnight to about 12:50 the next day.

ssh primary cat /var/log/syslog \
|grep "rejected: incoming update is less critical than outgoing update" \
|wc -l

I immediately ran the same script on the secondary DHCP server
to count those messages and got:

server 1      795
server 2   316200

	They both seem to be working and communicating with each
other. If one does an uptime command, both are about as busy.

primary  1:09PM  up 18 days, 15:04, 2 users, load averages: 0.10, 0.09, 0.11
secondary  1:09PM  up 18 days, 15:03, 2 users, load averages: 0.08, 0.07, 0.07

	Both servers appear to be communicating. The secondary
is usually always slightly less busy than the primary and
neither one seems to be in distress.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
Systems Engineer