DHCP client state if rebooted when local DHCPD server is offline?

terrygalant.lists at fastest.cc terrygalant.lists at fastest.cc
Thu Aug 14 15:41:30 UTC 2014

Hi

I understand that if my LAN's dhcpd server is up, when any client on the lan is rebooted, it'll pick up its lease & IP address.

What happens on the client if it reboots when the LAN's dhcpd is stopped, NOT serving dhcp info/leases?

Does the client come up in the last known state?  With the last-used IP addresses?  Or, instead, default or random IP address info?

I'm trying to understand what happens to daemons/listeners on a lan client, bound to a specific IP address, in that ^^ case.

Terry