Good old "peer holds all free leases" appearing in a (formerly) very stable setup

Nicolas Ecarnot nicolas at ecarnot.net
Thu Feb 20 09:37:08 UTC 2014

Le 20/02/2014 01:33, Glenn Satchell a écrit :
> On Thu, February 20, 2014 12:22 am, Nicolas Ecarnot wrote:

>>> Agree that it's ancient, but unfortunately this is the version that
>>> shipped with every release of RHEL and CentOS 5.x
>>>
>>> It was addressed in dhcpd v4 with the 4.1 extended support version that
>>> picks up all the bug fixes in later dhcpd v4 releases.
>>>
>>> regards,
>>> -glenn
>>>

>> Thanks to all who replied. We are aware of our archeologic datacenter
>> and on the way to upgrade it soon.
>> I'll test the embedding of the pool in the subnet declaration to see
>> whether it improves the situation (and let you know).
>>
>> have a nice day.
>>
>> --
>> Nicolas Ecarnot
>
> Pool statements are ok in the shared subnet, they will work fine as they
> are. Thinking back to an ancient 3.0.something.RC there was a bug and the
> workaround was to move pools out of the subnet into the shared subnet.
> Long since fixed, but 5 years ago it was probably something recent enough
> to be relevant.

Hi,

Today, I tried to place the pools declaration *inside* the subnet
declaration and tried the same tests.
No success...
It fail with the same error as usual.

During these tests, I check the host is *actually* sending the correct
classID (tcpdump is witnessing it).

> Are you able to post the class definition statements? Seems to me that
> some clients are not matching either of your classes and there is no
> default pool so in this case "no free leases" means "I couldn't find a
> matching pool".

The relevant part of the class declaration is :

class "c-prtest" {
   match if substring (option user-class,1,6) = "\0prtest";
}

and there are 18 such definitions working since years. I hope 18 is not
a number high enough to hit a design limit.

I don't know if there is a way I could increase the debug level and
maybe help you help me by providing additionnal logs?

Regards,

--
Nicolas Ecarnot