Dynamic DNS & Clients /w Multiple Interfaces

Chris Buxton clists at buxtonfamily.us
Wed Jan 1 07:10:42 UTC 2014

On Dec 30, 2013, at 10:01 PM, Anthony Hoppe <anthony.hoppe at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey All,
>
> A number of clients on my network both have a wireless and hard-wired interface.  Whichever interface obtains an IP first is the IP added to DNS.  When the second interface connects and obtains an IP, DNS is not updated because:
>
> "'name not in use' prerequisite not satisfied (YXDOMAIN)"
>
> This makes sense, as a DNS entry for the host was previously created.
>
> For those of you who use DDNS, how do you handle situations like this?

Use separate networks for wireless and wired. For the wireless networks, use some kind of ddns-hostname statement to set a name that is different in some fashion than what is used for the wired network. It’s been a while I since I’ve had to worry about this, but I remember adding “-wifi” to the ddns-hostname value for wireless networks.

Regards,
Chris Buxton