option 82 feature of DHCP

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Thu Jul 3 05:48:12 UTC 2014

On Thu, 2014-07-03 at 04:50 +0000, Hardik.V.Shah at ril.com wrote:
> I am configuring DHCP server with enabling option 82 features on
> network switches. My goal is to assign an IP to the server based on
> server’s serial number which I can get it through option 82.
>
> Can someone advise if it is possible and how?

Option 82 is typically something that the first switch injects into the
DHCP discover/request that the server sends out. The injection happens
in the switch so it can contain information that the server couldn't
know itself.

The serial number of the server sounds like something the server would
know and the switch would not know.

If the switch can really see the serial number then yes, it is possible.
The Internet is filled with examples of how to do it. Just search for
"isc dhcp option 82" in your favourite search engine.

Are asking because "host" statements cannot select on a random option?

--
Peter