option 82 feature of DHCP

Hardik.V.Shah at ril.com Hardik.V.Shah at ril.com
Mon Jul 7 10:30:57 UTC 2014

Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience. Please find the attached snap of serial no of the client box which I see through wireshark. How can I put this in dhcpd.conf, so that request from this box can be identified through serial number and assign the IP to it?

Highlighted is the serial no "SGH322WF01" [below part of the image and on right hand side ]

Thanks,
Hardik

Hardik.V.Shah at ril.com wrote:

> Yes, I am looking for the code which assign's the IP address based on client's serial no and not mac id or circuit id or agent id.
>
> From the client box when dhcp request comes, I am capturing through tcpdump and read through "wireshark" and able to see the serial no of the box but how I can code in dhcpd.conf by which it look at that serial no and assign the IP on match?

You are getting the list in digest mode, can you not read the bit (which you've quoted below !) that says "When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific than "Re: Contents of dhcp-users digest..."

Also, please don't top post - it's intensely annoying to those of us used to time going forwards and where answers follow questions rather than preceding them. It also tends to show up as an inability to realise that you've included quotes of all the messages i the digest, not just the one little snippet you are responding to - there is no excuse for excess quoting other than laziness. If you can't be bothered to take a few seconds to do the right thing, why should everyone else reading your messages put the effort into working out if there's anything in all that irrelevant quoting that isn't irrelevant ?

Now, back to your question.
There is no standard option that would include the server serial number - it would be incredibly useful if there was and would have avoided a number of "discussions" about how to identify devices over the years. I suggest you post the detail of a captured packet showing the required information (highlight the serial number as it might not be obvious to the rest of us without knowledge of what's printed on a sticker on your box). Then someone might be able to tell you how to access and use that.

"Confidentiality Warning: This message and any attachments are intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s).
are confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient. you are hereby notified that any
review. re-transmission. conversion to hard copy. copying. circulation or other use of this message and any attachments is
strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient. please notify the sender immediately by return email.
and delete this message and any attachments from your system.

Virus Warning: Although the company has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email.
The company cannot accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email or attachment."