difference between behavior after pxe and normal request and their definitions

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Jul 21 17:46:13 UTC 2014

Meike Stone <meike.stone at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Another question:
> Does the isc dhcpd prefer the Client-ID (option 61) before chaddr from
> bootp header?

Yes, it complies with the RFC which mandates that behaviour

> If so, where is it declared? I only found this part in the rfc 2132:
>
> "4.2
>
>    A DHCP server needs to use some unique identifier to associate a
>   client with its lease.  ...  If the client
>   supplies a 'client identifier', ... and the server MUST use that
>   identifier to identify the client.  If the client does not provide a
>   'client identifier' option, the server MUST use the contents of the
>   'chaddr' field to identify the client.

That seems very clear to me.
If the client supplies a Client-ID then the server *MUST* use it as it's primary key - which means it cannot use the chaddr as the key.
If the client does *NOT* supply an identifier, then the server *MUST* use the chaddr as it's primary key.
And this is exactly what the ISC server does.