isc-dhcp-relay6 configuration

Sascha Frey sf at TechFak.NET
Thu Jul 24 11:27:06 UTC 2014

Sebastian Klepatz wrote:

>I installed isc-dhcp-relay and want to configure it. The only settings I found were "UPPER_INTERFACE" and "LOWER_INTERFACE" in /etc/default. I miss the possibility to set an IPv6 as destination. Does anybody know how to set this?

>From the man page:

-l [address%]ifname[#index]
Specifies the ''lower'' network interface for DHCPv6 relay mode: the
interface on which queries will be received from clients or from other
relay agents.

-u [address%]ifname
Specifies the ''upper'' network interface for DHCPv6 relay mode: the
interface to which queries from clients and other relay agents should be
forwarded.
[...]
The destination unicast or multicast address can be specified by
address%; if not specified, the relay agent will forward to the DHCPv6
All_DHCP_Relay_Agents_and_Servers multicast address.

e.g dhcrelay -6 -l eth1 -u xxxx:yyyy::zzzz%eth0

Where eth1 is the interface on which dhcrelay receives DHCPv6 requests,
xxxx:yyyy::zzzz is the unicast IPv6 address of the DHCPv6 server and
eth0 is the interface which dhcrelay uses for outgoing requests to the
DHCPv6 server.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Sascha