Are options 60 and 61 bi-directional?

Glenn Satchell glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au
Sat Jul 26 03:49:38 UTC 2014

option 60 vendor-class-identifier and option 61 dhcp-client-identifier are
client to server only. See the dhcp-options man page.

     option vendor-class-identifier string;

       This option is used by some DHCP clients to  identify  the
       vendor  type  and  possibly  the  configuration  of a DHCP
       client.  The information is a string of bytes  whose  con-
       tents  are specific to the vendor and are not specified in
       a standard.  To see what vendor class  identifier  clients
       are  sending,  you  can  write  the following in your DHCP
       server configuration file:

       set vendor-string = option vendor-class-identifier;

       This will result in all entries in the DHCP  server  lease
       database   file   for   clients  that  sent  vendor-class-
       identifier options having a set statement that looks some-
       thing like this:

       set vendor-string = "SUNW.Ultra-5_10";

       The vendor-class-identifier option is normally used by the
       DHCP  server to determine the options that are returned in
       the vendor-encapsulated-options option.   Please  see  the
       VENDOR  ENCAPSULATED  OPTIONS section later in this manual
       page for further information.

     option dhcp-client-identifier string;

       This option can be used to specify a DHCP client  identif-
       ier in a host declaration, so that dhcpd can find the host
       record by matching against the client identifier.

regards,
-glenn