Gentle shutdown feature

Glenn Satchell glenn.satchell at uniq.com.au
Thu Jun 26 23:18:55 UTC 2014

On Fri, June 27, 2014 6:56 am, Kalnozols, Andris wrote:

> On 6/26/2014 11:25 AM, Alex Bligh wrote:
>>
>> On 26 Jun 2014, at 19:13, Shawn Routhier <sar at isc.org> wrote:
>>
>>> 3) Any other useful comments about this issue?
>>
>> I'm not using it knowingly (in my environment every
>> lease is static so it wouldn't make a difference) but
>> I would suggest that the new behaviour, whilst useful,
>> would change behaviour, and thus should be 'opted in'
>> to via a command line switch.
>
> On the flip side, the orderly shutdown sounds like a good
> idea especially on the client side if it means that sending
> a release keep things more tidy like minimizing stale DDNS
> records.  One could argue that if the change benefits the
> majority, it may be more suitable to have an option for
> the minority to opt out.  We're not using failover so these
> changes have been transparent to us.
>
> Andris

There seems to be two features enables by the gentle shutdown:

1. finish any writes to the lease file,
2. release lease on shutdown.

Item 1 would be desirable and I think is the expected behaviour. So no
argument about having that.

Item 2 is a change in behaviour, and while it could be the default, a
command to switch between this and the original might be desirable.
Something like for the client:

release-on-shutdown true;

For the server does this try to put the server in partner-down mode when
it shuts down? The described behaviour means a restart of the service
could mean running with only a single server for 30 or 60 minutes (typical
values for MCLT). I don't think that is desirable, but would be interested
to hear what the benefits are.

regards,
-glenn