ISC DHCP multinode

Steven Carr sjcarr at gmail.com
Sat May 17 17:09:05 UTC 2014

On 17 May 2014 16:54, Etienne Mula <etiennemula at gmail.com> wrote:
> We are doing some research to check for possible implementations and couldnt
> find any relative info. Basically our scenario is to implement a multi-node
> DHCP server in HA and load balancing mode and must be able to cater approx
> 10K requests per second. Our idea was to use ISC DHCp however it seems that
> its not possible to use more than two nodes. The concern is that the servers
> won't be able to cater for such load. Any suggestions please ?

Correct, ISC only support 2 nodes/peers in a failover pair, there are
no implementations (that I'm aware of) that allow you more nodes than
this.

For the 10K figure, is that leases per second or messages per section
(4 messages per lease)?

You could have 4/6/8 DHCP servers, with each pair being in their own
failover, and then spread your networks across them? And you probably
want some management system over the top of all of that which will
manage the network configuration and assignment etc.

Some other things to be mindful of when it comes to performance tuning
is don't use the "ping before lease" option within ISC DHCPD, store
the leases file on high speed storage (SSD) and don't log to disk
based syslog, ship your syslog to another server to manage.

Steve