Load balancing Issue

Waqas Asghar waqas.asghar at aol.com
Tue Nov 25 09:13:36 UTC 2014

Hi

I am using ISC dhcp servers in active/backup config with the following config:

primary; # declare this to be the primary server
  address 10.1.69.30;
  port 647;
  peer address 10.1.69.31;
  peer port 847;
  max-response-delay 60;
  max-unacked-updates 10;
  load balance max seconds 3;
  mclt 600;
  split 255;
}

However for some small number of hosts I have observed that a message as show below is observed and such devices fail to get an IP address,no logs for such devices are observed in the backup DHCP server neither,however if a static IP is assigned to such a device or if the backup server is shut the device gets an IP address.

Nov 25 14:11:03 isb-dcn-dhcp-1 dhcpd: [ID 702911 local7.debug] DHCPDISCOVER from b0:b2:dc:c6:82:eb via 175.110.144.1: load balance to peer dhcp

Regards,
Waqas Asghar
+923335495619