Force DHCP server to assign new IP to client

Adam Moffett adamlists at plexicomm.net
Wed Oct 15 17:59:32 UTC 2014

> That violates the letter and spirit of the DHCP RFCs, and it is not
> really possible without hacks.  Why do you want to give your clients a
> miserable experience?  If you are a service provider and were my
> competitor, I would say please go ahead and do that so I could get
> more business from your frustrated customers :-)

Interestingly enough, I have heard complaints from Time Warner Cable
customers in this area of their IP address changing on a fairly regular
basis.  I've sometimes wondered if it indicates something is wrong, like
the modem switching back and forth between access points.  It's hard to
believe they would do it on purpose.