dhcpd: failover: listener: no matching state

Bob Harold rharolde at umich.edu
Tue Oct 21 15:23:20 UTC 2014

I saw these messages from DHCP, and could not find an explanation in the
manual or on the internet.

Oct 19 01:03:16 myserver dhcpd: failover: listener: no matching state

Oct 19 01:03:21 myserver dhcpd: failover: listener: no matching state

Oct 19 01:03:26 myserver dhcpd: failover: listener: no matching state

It turns out that the message is because another DHCP server that is not
the configured peer is sending messages to the failover port of this DHCP
server.  I can think of two common cases where this would happen:

   1.

   A DHCP server is replaced by another server, but the DHCP process on the
   old server is not stopped.  The old server will continue to send packets to
   the DHCP peer.
   2.

   In an IPAM-DNS-DHCP appliance solution, the database is copied to a test
   server and the configuration from one of the DHCP peers is copied to a test
   DHCP server.  The test server will try to talk to the production peer.

Tracing the packets identified the offending server and it was easily
corrected.  In my case these messages did not cause any problems other than
a large log file.

It would be helpful if the error message could be clearer and include
something to identify where the unexpected packets were coming from, like:

dhcpd: failover: listener: unexpected packet from 1.2.3.4

Does this sound like a reasonable request, and is a "bug report" the proper
method to request it?

How would I request updating the documentation to explain the error message?

--
Bob Harold
DNS and DHCP, University of Michigan