fixed-address6 and ddns-hostname

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Sep 23 12:33:31 UTC 2014

Андрей Коблюк <winsor at ukrhub.net> wrote:

> ie as I understand it - there is no way to send dyndns query to "named" daemon with "static host" configuration? and the need to either make changes to dhcpd6.lases or in the static configuration on required zone in dns server?

Thinking about it (and it's a long time since I last used it) there is another option that may help - something like update-static-leases which is set to true makes dhcpd do a DNS update every time a static address (in a host statement) is leased to the client. It's useful for populating the DNS - but bear in mind that these records will never be automatically removed as dhcpd has no record of having inserted them.

The normal process for managing DNS for static host entries is to manually add them to the DNS at the same time as you create the host declaration. Depending on your workflow, this could be partially automated by some scripts/code.