ack fullfill database

Akey, Michael Mike.Akey at oregonstate.edu
Thu Dec 3 18:10:45 UTC 2015

I can't speak to the proper way, but I can say we also have a perl script tailing our dhcpd log for ACKs and stuffing them into a MySQL database.  If you're losing ACKs it seems you might have some sort of throughput issue with regards to logging or your script.  We don't filter at all and our script has been running fine for 10+ years with tens of thousands of clients.

If you did want to have your script only see ACKs, you could use syslog-ng and the message() filter to only find lines with DHCPACK and write those to a log file.  That's just one example, I'm sure other logging software can do similar.

In any case, if there's a better way I'd love to hear about it.

Mike Akey
Information Services
Oregon State University
541-737-4948