Option dhcp6.client-linklayer-addr

Enno Rey erey at ernw.de
Tue Feb 3 20:44:55 UTC 2015

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 03, 2015 at 03:41:27PM -0500, perl-list wrote:
> Wireshark shows option 79 clearly present in the packet. Looks like the mac address of the device is e4:11:5b:29:e4:35
>
> It does indeed look like RFC 6939 OPTION_CLIENT_LINKLAYER_ADDR (79) should be in 4.3.1 per https://deepthought.isc.org/article/AA-01112/0/Newly-Pre-defined-Options-in-DHCP-4.3.html
> dhcp6.client-linklayer-addr string
> A client link-layer address. The first two bytes must be the type of the link-layer followed by the address itself.
> This option is included based on RFC 6939.
>
> Hope this gets resolved as we will need to use that option in the future.
>
> Out of curiosity, Antonios, what relay agent are you using that is adding that option to the packet?

we were using a Cisco device running IOS XE which adds option 79 by default nowadays. can provide exact image if needed, but "all current" should do.

best

Enno

Enno Rey

ERNW GmbH - Carl-Bosch-Str. 4 - 69115 Heidelberg - www.ernw.de
Tel. +49 6221 480390 - Fax 6221 419008 - Cell +49 173 6745902

Handelsregister Mannheim: HRB 337135
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Enno Rey