DHCP Failover with IPv6 on dhcpd 4.3.2

Marc Haber mh+dhcp-users at zugschlus.de
Sun Jul 19 06:50:58 UTC 2015

Hi,

I have recently been trying to get DHCP Failover running with dhcpd
4.3.2 with IPv6. This has proven to be fun, since the dhcpd does not
seem to be happy with either way to place the "failover peer"
statement.

The only place where the dhcpd will not complain about a syntax error
is inside a (mandatory!) shared-network statement, but outside any
subnet statement. In that case, the dhcpd complains about "failover
peer declaration with no referring pools".

In all other cases, it says "/etc/dhcp/dhcpd6-failover.conf line 74: fail
over peers may only be defined in shared-network (line before the
failover peer line quoted in here) declarations and the outer scope."

Is this a bizarre way of dhcpd to say "failover not implemented for
IPv6", or am I doing something wrong?

If failover should work for IPv6, I'll post a more verbose message
here giving configuration and the corresponding error message, but I'd
like to know that I'm not fighting a lost cause here.

If somebody has configuration for working failover with IPv6 handy,
I'd appreciate sharing of configuration.

Thanks in Advance.

Grüße
Marc