dhcpd doesn't acknowledge dhcp requests

Peter Rathlev peter at rathlev.dk
Tue Jun 2 21:33:55 UTC 2015

On Tue, 2015-06-02 at 13:06 -0700, Sean McMurray wrote:
> I have a dhcp server that won't give out leases and doesn't
> acknowledge DHCPDISCOVERs.
>
> I see the requests come in with tcpdump, but the daemon doesn't log
> them and doesn't respond.

Just guessing but I'm thinking either a firewall (e.g. iptables) could
be blocking the traffic or the daemon is not listening to broadcasts,
i.e. compiled with --enable-use-sockets or similar.

>  >ss -anlp | grep ':67'
> tcp    UNCONN     0      0 *:67                    *:*
> users:(("dhcpd",21614,9))

Does it really say TCP there? That's a little strange for a DHCP server.
I'd expect it to have an entry for "raw" and one for "udp".

--
Peter