DHCP failover setup different IP offering with 2 helper address

Gero Palacio gero.palacio at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 18:08:09 UTC 2015

I need to correct myself. I did not meant the "mclt", I meant "*load
balance max secs*" option in the DPCH servers, sorry about that.

It is the expected behavior when the "sec" field in the DHCP client's
message is grater than the "*load balance max seconds*" defined in the
primary DHCP server. Or if the DHCP server are *not* in normal state. If
that's not the case (both servers in normal state and "sec" < "*load
balance max seconds*") both servers will receive the DHCP DISCOVERY message
but only one of them will reply back with an offer

>From *man dhcpd:*

*load-balance-max-secs integer examine*

Indicates the maximum value for the secs field in a client request before
load balancing is bypassed.

Cheers.