DHCPv6 and DDNS

Philippe Clérié philippe at gcal.net
Mon Jun 29 19:35:30 UTC 2015

On 06/29/2015 02:51 PM, Philippe Clérié wrote:
> On 06/26/2015 09:10 AM, Philippe Clérié wrote:
>> On 06/18/2015 12:35 PM, Philippe Clérié wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> First time on the list, mostly because I have not found my answer on
>>> Debian users or anywhere else.
>>>
>>> For the past couple of weeks I've been trying to set up isc-dhcp-server
>>> ( 4.3.1 ) on Debian Jessie for IPv6. I am at a point where the server is
>>> providing addresses but I cannot get it to update the DNS server.
>>>

>> Just returning to this subject. It seems that the server works correctly
>> with windows clients. At least, the one windows machine in the house is
>> getting IPv4 and IPv6 addresses assigned; A and AAAA records are created
>> by the DHCP server along with the respective reverse entries.
>>
>> I guess that proves the server configuration is perfectly adequate for
>> some clients. A Macbook did not work though: the address was issued and
>> used but no DNS updates were performed. Androids and Chromebooks all
>> seem to be stateless only. It feels very weird that Windows does this
>> correctly with BIND, but ISC's own client does not.
>>

> It took a while but I believe I have found my problem. It appears that
> the DHCP server does not update DNS records for static leases. DNS does
> get updated for clients that get their addresses from the subnet range.
>
> Can anyone confirm that please?
>

> Thanks.

I thought it might be useful to put up my client config.

============ /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf ============
option rfc3442-classless-static-routes code 121 = array of unsigned
integer 8;

send host-name = gethostname();
send fqdn.fqdn = gethostname();
do-forward-updates on;

request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers,
         domain-name, domain-name-servers, domain-search, host-name,
         dhcp6.name-servers, dhcp6.domain-search,
         netbios-name-servers, netbios-scope, interface-mtu,
         rfc3442-classless-static-routes, ntp-servers, dhcp6.fqdn,
	dhcp6.sntp-servers;

Philippe

------
The trouble with common sense it that it is so uncommon.
<Anonymous>