DHCPv6 and DDNS

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Jun 29 20:53:12 UTC 2015

Chris Buxton <clists at buxtonfamily.us> wrote:

>> It took a while but I believe I have found my problem. It appears that the DHCP server does not update DNS records for static leases. DNS does get updated for clients that get their addresses from the subnet range.
>>
>> Can anyone confirm that please?
>
> Correct, that is the default behavior. It can be changed with a configuration option. Iirc, the option is called "update-static-leases".

Just for completeness, be aware that IIRC it will create the DNS entries but doesn't delete them. That's because a static lease (host declaration with fixed-address statement) doesn't create a lease record, so the server actually has no comprehension of the "lease" expiring.

Philippe Clérié <philippe at gcal.net> wrote:

> I thought it might be useful to put up my client config.
> do-forward-updates on;

Whether that works or not depends on several factors.
Firstly, the DHCP server can over-ride it and do the forward updates.
Secondly, the DNS server may or may not have restrictions (either by IP/net or keys) configured for zone updates. If the DHCP server allows it, but the DNS server does not - it will just fail.