Storing leases in LDAP

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Tue Mar 10 12:34:00 UTC 2015

Simon Hobson wrote:
> Ben Humpert <ben at an3k.de> wrote:
>
>> Is any version capable of maintaining the list of DHCP leases in LDAP
>> instead of the dhcpd.leases file?
> I suspect the answer is going to be no, and no it's not likely to happen.

:-(
> Storing the config in LDAP is one thing - it's not really that performance sensitive. But storing leases is typically one of the performance bottlenecks on a DHCP server. Whenever a lease is given to a client, the server stores that lease in the leases file *and syncs it to disk* - I believe this is done before the packet is sent to the client but I could be wrong on that.
> What happens to performance if you have to update an LDAP database rather than just appending a record to a text file ?

At least deployers should have a choice.

Personally I find this single leases file pretty terrifying. Others might want
to put this file on a RAM disk risking to loose all lease information.

With leases in LDAP entries you can replicate them. Of course one has to take
replication load and latency into account. But IMHO it's much better.
During the last years write performance on LDAP servers also significantly
increased.

Ciao, Michael.