Dhcpd fixed-address leases

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Sat Nov 7 17:39:40 UTC 2015

"Akey, Michael" <Mike.Akey at oregonstate.edu> wrote:

> I am able to see in my dhcpd logs the full transaction (discover/offer/request/ack) between the client and server.  However, when I look at the leases file or try to look for a lease object with the client's IP in omshell, the lease for that IP is not there.  For what it's worth, leases given to clients from pool declarations are present.  Should I be looking elsewhere, or is the dhcpd log the only place I can check to see if a client has requested a lease and given a fixed-address?

As Greg says, for fixed-address clients, no lease is stored. If you need to see a lease for it, then you may find reserved leases a viable alternative. These are normal dynamic leases, except that by adding the "reserved" keyword to the lease (AFAIK you can either edit the leases file or use OMAPI/OMSHELL) it is reserved exclusively for the one client. In other words, a reserved lease will never be reallocated even if it's long since expired.