dhcpd responding to unicast?

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Nov 10 10:07:09 UTC 2015

Martin Garbe <monomartin at opennet-initiative.de> wrote:

> Once the client has determined the address of a server

How does an unconfigured client know this ?

> , it may under
>   some circumstances send messages directly to the server using
>   unicast.
> ------
> Our scenario here is one of these "some circumstances".

Actually, I don't think your situation is one of those circumstances envisaged.

In the IPv4 world, once a client is configured (which requires broadcast packets), then it may unicast packets (eg to renew a lease) to the server - it knows the server address because it's part of the information supplied to it. I'm not familiar enough with IPv6 to say if this is (effectively) the same.