dhcpd responding to unicast?

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Nov 10 21:51:04 UTC 2015

Martin Garbe <monomartin at opennet-initiative.de> wrote:

>>> Once the client has determined the address of a server
>>
>> How does an unconfigured client know this ?
>
> With IPv6 devices can have many IP addresses. When clients have
> predefined private IPs (ULA) they can communicate with each other. But
> these IPs are not routable in the Internet. We want to use DHCPv6 to
> assign dynamic public IPs.

You missed the question. How does the unconfigured client know the address of the server ?

> I am/was assuming that implementing unicast-only support should be easy.
> For what reason does the dhcpd not accept unicast traffic for initial
> requests? In which situations is this a problem?

I don't know that it doesn't, and I'd guess that it might actually accept unicast traffic. But still, you have the problem that to send unicast to the server you need to know it's address - and if you know its address then you are half way to not needing DHCP anyway.

For sniffing traffic, my preferred tool is wireshark (or it's command line twin, tshark)