Weird behavior with multiple pool inside shared networks

Niall O'Reilly niall.oreilly at ucd.ie
Tue Oct 27 10:14:44 UTC 2015

On Tue, 27 Oct 2015 09:17:59 +0000,
Simon Hobson wrote:

> A key thing to remember is that there is no such thing as "I receive
> packages from subnet 186.90.0.0" for broadcast packets.

  Absolutely.

  It's also worth bearing in mind that the address shown in the "via"
  phrase of the log message for DHCPDISCOVER is just arbitrarily
  selected by the gateway/relay from the addresses configured on the
  interface connected to the shared network.  It may be the "primary"
  address, or the one first in sort order, according to the
  implementation.  In particular, the example "via 186.90.0.1" doesn't
  indicate anything which should prevent a DHCPOFFER from carrying an
  address from the other subnet.

  ATB
  Niall