dhclient on Debian Jessie not sending the same identifier for DHCPv4 and DHCPv6 (RFC 4361)

Nicolas C. dhcp at nryc.fr
Thu Sep 10 11:58:28 UTC 2015

Le 09/09/2015 03:13, Shawn Routhier a écrit :

> The first thing to note is that the clients will save their DUID in
> their lease files, so once you have gotten them to work on a given
> client it should continue to be happy, except if you delete the lease
> file or the DUID from the lease file.
>
> If there is enough of a gap in starting the clients then you can use
> -df with each of them pointing to the other client’s lease file.  The
> first to start will create a DUID and put it into it’s lease file and
> the second will pick up the DUID from that one.
>
> If there isn’t enough of a gap then you might have to create your own
> DUID file for them to use.

Hello,

Just a quick update to say that everything works fine with both dhclient
having the -df parameters pointing to the other lease file.

Deleting both lease files and re-running dhclient result with new lease
files with the same DUID.

All we need now is DHCP clients handling RFC 4361 correctly, I'm
thinking about setting up a dedicated website to raise a little
awareness on this topic because nobody seems in a hurry.

Thanks a lot,