Problems with a Failover Pair

David Liedke liedke at rz.uni-mannheim.de
Wed Sep 30 05:51:11 UTC 2015

Am 29.09.2015 um 21:29 schrieb Shawn Routhier:
> You don’t say if this is an issue that started occurring when you switched to 4.2.6.
>
> In 4.2.6 we added a gentle shutdown feature to tidy up the shutdown process.
> Unfortunately this created several problems with the servers taking some time
> to fully shutdown and so in 4.2.7 and above this feature is no longer on by default.
>
> You might want to upgrade to a newer version of 4.2 or 4.3 and see if that resolves
> the issue.
>
> regards,
> Shawn

In April i updated one Server to openSUSE 13.2 (DHCPD 4.2.6).  The other
server run with openSUSE 13.1 (DHCPD 4.2.5). With this combination i
have no problems. Last week i update the second server to openSUSE 13.2
(DHCPD 4.2.6) and the problems begin.

Okay thanks for the information. I will test it.

Am 29.09.2015 um 15:10 schrieb Steven Carr:
>> On both Server we use a Cronjob to renew the DHCPD Configuration.
>> Normally there are only changes for the static configuration (for
>> example: new mac-adress).
>>
>> Now we had the problem after we execute the script and reboot the dhcpd
>> server that the server go to the "recover" state. And he doesn´t came
>> back online (normal state).
> What does said script do exactly? (provide the commands if you can).
>
> It sounds like your script is putting the systems into PARTNER-DOWN
> mode. Just do a plain restart of the DHCP service, don't tell it that
> something is shutting down. When you do a restart the other peer will
> go into COMMUNICATIONS-INTERRUPTED then once they see each other again
> will work themselves back into NORMAL state.
>
> Steve

We have a database with the bindings between mac-adress and ip adress.
The script generate the new configuration files.  After generating the
new files the script restart the dhcp daemon without any command to
shutdown or something like that.

Regards,
David