Assign IP Range to specific AP

Simon Hobson dhcp1 at thehobsons.co.uk
Mon Apr 25 16:21:29 UTC 2016

"Ashley M. Kirchner" <kirash4 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yeah, I hear you guys. I have a list of TODOs for this year

Don't we all :-(

> ... the APs are also Ubiquity UniFi APs.

Good choice IMO - I've put a lot of those in.

> ... I would have to also move my desktop machine onto that subnet just to configure the AP ...

Ah, you don't :-)
See https://help.ubnt.com/hc/en-us/articles/204909754-UniFi-Layer-3-methods-for-UAP-adoption-and-management
I can vouch for both DHCP and SSH methods working. Just tell the AP where the controller is, and as long as the routing and firewalling permits it, they'll talk just fine.

I think the easiest way to handle things until you get VLAN capability is to configure the guest WiFi as a separate site on the controller - that way it's settings won't clash with those of the office WiFi. When you get the network sorted, you can un-adopt the guest WiFi AP and adopt it into the main site config - and configure the VLANs to suit.

> (breathe, I need to just breathe)

Now you're just being greedy :-)