RNDC problem

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Wed Feb 3 16:38:42 UTC 2016

On Wed, Feb 03, 2016 at 08:11:38AM -0800, Gregory Sloop wrote:
> Is there a known issue doing RNDC from ISC DHCP 4.1 to ISC BIND
> 9.9.5?

DHCP does not have rndc(8), that is a BIND tool.

> I've got a case where I'm trying to get a UBNT Edge Router [ISC
> DHCPd 4.1ESV] to update a bind server running on Ubuntu 14 [ISC
> BIND 9.9.5] and I keep getting BADKEY debug logs when it tries to
> update BIND with DDNS entries.

Ah, I guess you mean TSIG keys.  BADKEY means that: the key is bad,
not what was expected.

> I've cranked the RNDC key multiple times and verified it's the same
> on both ends. There _are_ some weird gyrations you have to go

BTW, you should not use the same key for both rndc and for DDNS
updating.  They are the same kind of keys, yes, but they should be
kept separate.

> through to configure it on the Edge Router side - and those may
> well be the source of the problem - but I wanted to make sure there
> wasn't some known interop issue I wasn't aware of.

There is not.  Probably a configuration error.  You'd have to share
your configuration if you'd like help with that.
--
  http://rob0.nodns4.us/