[Ext] Re: Static IP and IP management

Victoria Risk vicky at isc.org
Wed Feb 24 19:21:46 UTC 2016

Bernard,

I don’t have any experience with it, but there is an open source tool that aims to do exactly what you are looking for, document what is on the network, what addresses are in use, and which are available.  It also has some integration with both ISC DHCP and BIND.
It is NetDot (network documentation), published by the University of Oregon … https://osl.uoregon.edu/redmine/projects/netdot

Does anyone on the list have feedback about NetDot? Any users here?

Vicky

> On Feb 24, 2016, at 10:20 AM, Bernard Fay <bernard.fay at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> This is interesting!  I'll have to find out how to write such scripts.  Would you have some pointers related to this subject?
>
> Thanks Jim
>
> On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 10:00 AM, Jim Glassford <jmglass at iup.edu <mailto:jmglass at iup.edu>> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This works for us, ymmv. We use home grown scripts that pull information from a database to build our dhcpd.conf and dns files for all static assignments.  We also have different scripts that pull the arp tables from the routers each hour and from layer two switches ports to keep track of who is where.
>
> Put these together to keep some control for IPAM, sure the commercial products do a better job.
>
> As part of the hour run script, we do a compare on what is found in arp tables to what we have in the assigned database. If a match, the MAC and IP address match what is in the database, update a count field and the date it was found. If a MAC is found in arp table does not match the assigned IP address, send and email for a discrepancy (someone hard coded when they should not or other issue that needs addressed)
> Once in awhile (when I need more static IP addresses for a subnet) review the count and last updated fields, if older than a year +/- then safe to re-assign this IP address.
>
> best!
> jim
>

> On 2/24/2016 9:16 AM, Bernard Fay wrote:
>> I manage a lab where there is about 300-400 IPs assigned to different network equipments, physical and virtual servers.  So IPs might be assigned for a while then equipments removed because not needed anymore, remember this is a lab.  I would like to know which IPs are in used or not.  Equipments removed means IPs not used anymore so we could reuse those IPs.
>>
>> I hope I am clear enough
>> Thanks,
>>

>> On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 9:06 AM, Patrick Trapp <ptrapp at nex-tech.com <mailto:ptrapp at nex-tech.com>> wrote:
>> I believe a helpful answer will require some context. You haven't told us what issues you are having with IP management, so it's going to be difficult to identify how static IP's might be beneficial.
>>
>> Are you having a specific issue you wish to address?

Victoria Risk
Internet Systems Consortium
vicky at isc.org